Leaks on your own supply

We know leaks are a big deal. Our Leakage Technicians regularly check our network through the year, looking out for any signs of a problem. Sometimes as part of this process they find leaks on customers' private supply pipes, so we need to let you know there's an issue.

Equally you might have spotted signs of a leak yourself – for example if your meter is moving even when your internal stoptap is off, if you can hear or see dripping taps or a constantly running overflow – and know you need to get it fixed.

Either way, once you're aware there's a water leak at the property it's really important to get it fixed as quickly as possible. As a UK water company we also have a legal obligation to make sure a repair is carried out within 30 days of a leak being confirmed, so while we'll always work with you to help get things sorted, we need to make sure the problem is being addressed.

Who's responsible for repairing leaks?

In most cases, we own the water pipes which run beneath the street up to the point it meets your property, plus the meter or stoptap outside your property, so any leaks are down to us to repair.

Once the pipework crosses the boundary it becomes the responsibility of the owner, whether it's a leak on the pipe beneath a private driveway or somewhere in the property itself.

Some older properties share water supply pipes, which generally means that the responsibility for repairing it would be shared between you and your neighbours.

What to do if you think you've got a leak on your own pipework

  1. Check your home insurance
    The repair might be covered under your household insurance policy, so please check this first. If you're a tenant, contact your landlord as they may be responsible for fixing the problem.
  2. Do you have separate home emergency cover?
    If you've taken out a separate policy with a home assistance provider (e.g. HomeServe) to cover leaks on your supply, now's the time to call them!
  3. Contact a plumber
    If you're not covered by your insurance, you'll need to get in touch with a plumber.

WaterSafe is a good place to start – it's an independent body funded by the water industry to help customers in the UK find qualified, local plumbers. You can check out their website here https://www.watersafe.org.uk.

We know leaks can be pretty worrying, so we have a dedicated team of specialists on hand to help you through the process and make sure you're able to find and fix the problem as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions, you can speak directly to the team by calling 0800 393 084. They support customers through this process every day, so will definitely be able to help out with any questions or queries you might have.

In some instances we're able to give some additional help towards the repair if you or someone in your household receives certain benefits or tax credits, including Income Support or Universal Credit. To see if you'd be eligible, just give the team a shout on the number above.

We also offer a one-off allowance for domestic customers on a water meter, so that as long as you repair the leak within 30 days, you won't pay for any additional water lost on top of your usual consumption. There's more info on that here.

Work in your Community

Work in a business that supports your community

At Northumbrian Water, we work to make a difference in your community.

Have you considered a career that can help you do the same?

As well as the teams you see working in your streets, we have people doing a wide range of jobs that support that work to deliver the best possible water and sewerage services across the North East.

You can find out more about careers with Northumbrian Water and check out the latest vacancies by following the link below.